Building The Perfect Real Estate Agent (or Things That Make You Go Wow)
As some of you know, I love to have audience participation at my morning meetings. So last week I put a question to my agents; Have you ever done a deal with an agent, from our company or another, who did something that you thought was exceptional? Something that made you think….”wow, that’s cool, I should really do that”. I decided to try this tact because I thought is was time to celebrate Realtor best practices. Not only did I ask my agents but I started a conversation on the BuzzBuzzHome Forum. Here are the top answers.
- One agent told a story of registering an offer on a property. The listing agent emailed him with a wish list from the seller, in terms of closing date and inclusions, and set out the rules for the multiple offers.
- This was a great service one agent passed on to her clients after successfully finding a home for her buyer. Over the years she had assembled an amazing list trades, from carpenters to plumbers. She had neatly packaged the list complete with emergency numbers and given it to the buyers.
- Another agent was greatly impressed by an agent who wrote her a personal note. She was in a multiple offer situation and even though her offer wasn’t accepted the listing agent wrote her a note to thank her for her hard work. This goes both ways, as another agent mentioned that she had received a note from an agent who lost out on her listing saying ” Although my buyers did not get the house I wanted to thank you for a pleasant experience”.
- One of my agents reported what great feedback he got from his clients every time he forwarded articles, blog posts and stories. The articles were not always real estate related but were customized to his client’s interests.
- This one was interesting. An agent gave out $1 lotto tickets at his open house. Interesting way to drive traffic.
- Another agent told a story of a multiplex he had listed. The selling agent worked diligently to ensure that all the proper forms were delivered to tenants to ensure that a smooth transition and vacant possession. This is one type of transaction that can go sideways very quickly if forms are not prepared properly.
- Here’s one that would require a great deal of organizing but would ensure your status as the greatest agent ever; this particular agent worked for a new house builder. Every time a house was completed the agent put all the warranties and service manuals into a unique and well branded binder broken down by month and appliance.
- This one is a simple show of professionalism. An agent recalled how another agent called her to say that her client had just stopped by at her open house. While some agents might try to lure the client away, this agent showed her diligence towards marketing the property with integrity.
- Here’s a simple one I wish every agent would consider. How about preemptively leaving the results of you showing with the listing agent? Instead of automatic feedback or waiting for the agent to call, consider shooting the listing agent a quick email and let them know how your showing went. Something like; Dear Mark, I just showed your listing at 123 Main Street. My client liked your listing however they are just starting their search. I will be sure to contact you if they are interested in looking at it again.
- When the market is as hot as it has been, one agent made a special effort to mark down all the emails of everyone who showed her property. On the off-chance that someone tried to submit a bully offer, she could do a quick group page to let everyone know and hopefully drum up another offer.
When I review this list, I can see a common theme that runs through most of these points. Can you see it too? Communication! Not just communication between an agent and a client but between agent and agent. Naturally I will keep adding and updating this list so I hope you will help me design the perfect real estate agent. Enjoy the rest of your Summer.